Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

meme posts

Well, Valerie has taught me some new web vocabulary. A meme post is all about "me", but usually following an assignment given by someone else. In this case, it came as as direct challenge (request?) from Valerie.

So, first, the 123 challenge. I must:
1. Grab the book closest to you.
2. Open to page 123, look down to the 5th sentence.
3. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog.
4. Include the title and the author's name.

So, if I lean forward at my computer, I can reach "Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary" with my right hand, and "vi Editor: Pocket Reference" with my left. Luckily, the vi editor reference doesn't have 123 pages so you don't have to be bored with that. But a dictionary? Seemed dreary to me so I reached a hair further with each hand. But first, I'll be obedient. The dictionary was better than I thought:

"cham-paign n. Flat and open country. [< MF champagne < L campus field] --cham-paign' adj.
cham-pi-on n. 1. One who has defeated all opponenets and is ranked first, esp. in a sport. 2. Anything awarded first place."

Who knew that if you spelled champagne as "champaign", you were talking about nature, not celebration?

So, I couldn't help reaching further. My right hand found this with a little extra stretch:

"The morning sun was coming through the window behind him, falling on the pink flowers of the hibiscus plant that sat on the sill. The quote was from Ted Turner, the billionaire media mogul, founder of CNN, who had been lamenting his inability to snatch up the CBS network in a corporate megadeal. I had brought the story to Morrie this morning because I wondered if Turner ever found himself in my old professor's position, his breath disappearing, his body turning to stone, his days being crossed off the calendar one by one--would he really be crying over owning a network?"

This is from "Tuesday's with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. My sister-in-law lent it to me when my dad died....but I've never brought myself to read it. I was mourning too much then, and it's been slowly buried on my desk. But maybe I'll read it now. The Ted Turner quote was, "I don't want my tombstone to read 'I never owned a network.' "

And I know, I'm overzealous, but with my left hand, I reached this quote:

"Thus whatever might be the law of Congress and whatever might be the 'directives' or regulations, the courts, on this theory, would have no option but to enforce them, upholding them as constitutional, because they would possess no right to question their constitutionality.

"Obviously, under this system, amendments to the Constitution become unnecessary. A mere Act of Congress, indeed even a 'directive,' can work the change."

This is a quote from J. Reuben Clark, given 10/7/43, quoted in the book "Prophets, Principles and National Survival" compiled by Jerreld L. Newquist. Hmm. World War II era politics in this quote....I might have to back up and read more!

I'll have to leave the second half of my meme challenge for tomorrow. The hour is getting late for this pregnant woman, and my husband just gave me the eye when he said he was going to bed.

But one last thing. Today was my oldest brother Justin and my youngest sister Erin's birthday. Happy Birthdays! I haven't finished Erin's scarf yet. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow when I have the light to take one!

No comments: